Monday, June 9, 2014

Moraikobai

Well we are back from our weekend escape to the interior and it was AMAZING. We started our trip by going down the beautiful Mahaicony river in two speed boats watching the jungle fly by. 2 hours later we were in the village greated by friendly faces and food. Over the next two days we got to swim in the river, walk through the village, and interact with the amazing Amerindian people. We learned how to properly cannonball off the rivers edge and some even dared to jump from the trees. We found out how to cook cassava properly which is a local root vegetable that is used for a variety of delicious purposes. I even got the honor to carry the cassava by a basket strapped to my head. Needless to say my neck was a bit sore. We also got to buy and marvel at the amazing baskets and goods made by some of the Amerindian women. That same day we took a nature walk with Andrea's father Kenrick through the village and surrounding fields. Soft spoken and fascinating, Kenrick was a man in his element. He enjoyed sharing his stories and wisdom with the group all the time rocking a black fedora. At night we enjoyed the cool breeze and amazing view of the night sky. After a night of bug nets we woke up to a chorus of roosters for a morning swim. The kids mistook me for a tree and decided all six would try to climb me in the water at once. The kids were great and were very at home in the forest and river. It was really cool to see the differences between life in the interior vs. Georgetown. Time almost ceases to exist out there which was fine by us. The simplicity and beauty of the village was amazing with palm trees and greenery as far as the eye could see. After an outdoor dinner feast, we had a bonfire on the cricket field with the kids, sitting around enjoying good company and the great weather. As usual, this morning was full of hard goodbyes and fond memories had by all. While it was a short trip it made a big impact. It showed another perspective of Guyana that we hadn't yet experienced and was just one more place I hope to visit again. There is a legend that anyone who drinks water from the creek always returns to Moraikobi. Thankfully, I didn't need to drink the water to realize I want to return one day. On the boat ride back we all reminisced about our trip enjoying the views once more. I also lost my hat (RIP stinky ass vineyard vines hat, you will be missed). I like to think that if there is any place I would like to leave part of me behind it would be on that beautiful river. 
-Andrew

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to read about your amazing adventure. What an experience. We can't wait to hear all about it. We love and miss you. Mom

    ReplyDelete