Friday, June 6, 2014

Palms and Upscale

     As I sit down to write there is a steady rain outside, reggae and crackly voices blare from the stereo, and the promise of another one of Anthony's delicious pastries sits next to me. Just another morning in paradise.
     Yesterday began with another trip to the palms (the public geriatric facility). It was our third visit, and like the previous two we were greeted outside by George W. Once inside we distributed some soaps and toothbrushes to the residents. It being our third visit, I found myself falling into a routine. There are about five spots in the home that I make sure to visit each time we go. Most of the residents  can be found sitting in the same locations every day; the second story walkway next to ward two, the bottom of the stairs underthe overhang, the bed in the corner of the room on the first foot of ward two. A certain realization sets in for me; that these spots, these chairs, theses scenes they stare out at day in and day out are their only reality and will continue to be their only reality until the day they die. The same thing every day. Except for the days that we visit. Upon visiting my spots I see faces light up. Even residents who were seemingly unresponsive the first couple times around, residents whom I may have only shaken hands with while passing by lift their heads, smile a toothless smile, and raise their hand to me even before I could reach them. I could tell that in that brief moment their spirits were lifted and that makes the visits worth it for us, and for them.
     In the afternoon the group split up for the first time. The girls went to St. Anne's girls orphanage and the boys went to Bosco boys orphanage. At Bosco the boys ran up and high fived us even before the bus came to a stop, you could tell they were excited to see their friends again. We played soccer in the mud, tag on the playscape, and we even got to listen to the kids play the steel drums in their group. All in all a fun, all be it short afternoon.
     The reason I'm just getting around to posting this now instead of last night is because last night we went out to dinner for the first time. Once we were reunited everyone washed up, put on their best dress (which varied greatly) and hopped in taxis headed for downtown. We went to a place called 'upscale'. The decore was brightly colored, there were pool tables at the far end of the room, and a group of locals slamming down dominoes at a table. I ended up getting a ginger beef dish which wasn't half bad (I still think Anthony's cooking is better) and we were even able to catch some of the NBA finals at the bar!
    The rain seems to be dying down now and this pastry sitting next to me is smelling really good so I have to sign off. looking forward to heading into the rainforest on Saturday!

lots of love from Georgetown,
Dylan

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Dylan! Thanks for your beautiful and thoughtful description of yesterday. Of course, you made me cry (you know too well how easy that is!), but I was struck by your description of all your seemingly ordinary activities as "another day in paradise." You've stumbled upon something really important there. I'm so proud of you and all the other students--and teachers--in your generously sharing your love, your gifts, your compassion, your deep gratitude, and your extraordinary selves with those who instinctively see you as the exceptional superstars you are. And how blessed you are to be able to see your deep value reflected in the eyes of those you've touched so deeply. We miss you, but how could we want you anywhere but paradise? Hope you enjoyed the pastry! Lots of love, Mom and Dad and Anna. p.s. God love you, all!

    ReplyDelete