Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Farewell...for now

     Theres a bittersweet feeling in the air here in Guyana today. With less than 12 hours left in the country and with our Guyanese friends, it almost feels surreal for it to be ending, but hey, we still got 12 hours of wonder left.
     We had a jam packed morning today. The with an 8am wake up call and another amazing assortment of Anthony's pastries and local fruits (God I'm gonna miss that pineapple). After breakfast we rushed out for our final visit to the convalescent home. There we read to the children and even got to play outside for the first time! However when it was time to leave the grim realization that this was more than likely the last time we would ever see these kids was ever present. Many of the group memebers, myself included, had difficulty saying goodbye and leaving our preschool friends in the care of the workers at the home, but time moves on. After our goodbyes we headed over to the ministry of child services dressed in our Sunday best to have a meeting with the deputy director of child protective services of Guyana. In an air conditioned room, we were able to ask a multitude of questions about the children's homes we have been visiting and the system as a whole. The answers she provided shed some light on the process by which children are put into the homes, how the staff is selected, and what is being done to improve the system. She provided much food for thought. After our meeting we traveled to Stabroek market, the largest market in Georgetown, where we got a chance to shop for souviners of our journey. Amidst the commotion of the shops we explored the varied, tiny stands and picked out many a gift for loved ones back home. At the end of our excursion we met a man working out of a cardboard box who carved up the most incredible images on gorges, only 600 Guyanese a pop, what a bargin.
     One of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies 'The Motorcycle Diaries' says "Each moment of travel is split in two; sadness for what is left behind, and excitement what what lay ahead." As our time here comes winds down this is how I find myself feeling. I am infinitely greateful for the sights I've seen, the relationships I've enjoyed, the moments I've experienced and the love that I have felt. This group consists of some of the most genuine and heartfelt people I have ever met and I am one of the luckiest people alive to have had the pleasure of spending two weeks with them in such an amazing place. Anthony, Andrea, Rashley, Reon, and Devon: I couldn't have asked for better hosts. I've felt like family from start to finish. And thank you professor Kirby and professor Popovich for bringing us together for such a wonders adventure, one which will be with us for the rest of our lives.

And so Guyana, it saddens me to leave, but makes me glad to hope that someday I will return.
lots of love from Georgetown,
Dylan
   

1 comment:

  1. I'm the last one up tonight, and as I'm getting ready to lock up, I remember that I haven't visited your blog since Tuesday evening! You know what recital time is like. What beautiful words you've written to send me off to sleep! I'm always nostalgic this time of year. As you said, the end of such sweet times, the anticipation of new things to come. I'm sure the person I will welcome home tomorrow will be different from the person I said good-bye to just two short weeks ago. As always, I can't wait to make his acquaintance--and look forward to his friendship and love.

    Thank you all for sharing your wonderful and beautiful adventures with those of us who have remained behind, but who have thought of you continuously. Godspeed you on your journey back to us! Love to Dylan and to you all! Mom, aka, Celeste.

    ReplyDelete